Private Lessons in Santa Monica, CA
Violin lessons • viola lessons • suzuki trainED
Private lessons are the cornerstone of learning a musical instrument, especially one that is as complex as the violin and viola. My teaching technique is derived from my experience as a professional musician, Suzuki teacher training, and my background in Neuroscience. I am always looking for the newest approaches in education to keep an active learning environment for my students. I use principles from the Suzuki Method for students from 3-7 years old, however my older students in middle and high school learn more of a traditional method. I have completed training in Suzuki Books 1 & 2 with Ed Sprunger at the Los Angeles Suzuki Institute.
My early studies and career in the field of Neuroscience taught me how the brain works and the ways in which a human being learns. Studying which neural pathways are used to master an instrument led me to the discovery that learning is not a one-size-fits-all approach. One student may learn visually while another kinesthetically, or a combination of both. Students in my studio each receive a personalized approach utilizing their strengths to best address areas of improvement. I believe that Every Child Can play the violin when there is a disciplined, personalized plan implemented with loving encouragement from both the teacher and parent.
Participating in extracurricular musical activities is a central goal for each of my students. Many more schools are offering orchestra and music classes, but my students also participate in the Royal Academy of Music Exams and play in such ensembles as Junior Chamber Music, Elemental Strings, Los Angeles Youth Orchestra, as well as regional and state ensembles SCSBOA and CODA. While I focus on a classical method, I like to encourage my students to learn other styles of music like folk and bluegrass. For two years in a row my students have placed 1st in Beginning Fiddle at the Topanga Banjo Fiddle Contest. Check out the awards and achievements my students have received below!
All private lessons are held in my studio conveniently located in Santa Monica, easily accessible for students living in Pacific Palisades, Venice, Brentwood, Marina del Rey, Mar Vista, and other West LA locations. I teach adults, too!
Student Awards & Achievements
- Los Angeles Youth Orchestra (Concert), Assistant Principal Viola (2016)
- Topanga Banjo Fiddle Contest, 1st Place Beginning Fiddle (2016)
- Topanga Banjo Fiddle Contest, 2nd Place Beginning Fiddle (2016)
- Beverly Hills District Middle School Honor Orchestra, Principal Viola (2016)
- Royal Conservatory of Music Exam, Highest Score Viola Level 2 (2015)
- Topanga Banjo Fiddle Contest, 1st Place Beginning Fiddle (2015)
- Kiwanis Club of Santa Monica Music Award, Finalist (2015)
- Santa Monica High School Sinfonia Orchestra, Principal Viola (2015)
- Lincoln Middle School Concert Orchestra, Principal Violin II (2014)
- SMMUSD Elementary Honor Orchestra, Concertmaster (2013)
- SAMO High School Philharmonic Orchestra, Principal Viola (2012)
- SCSBOA Middle School Festival Orchestra, Violin I and Viola section (2014–2015)
- CODA High School Festival Orchestra, Viola section (2013–2014)